STAND NUMBER: F200
UWE Bristol - Research Centre for Floods, Communities & Resilience
OUR MISSION: The Centre for Floods, Communities and Resilience (CFCR) is focuses on promoting resilient futures in the context of a changing world. This is delivered through an integrated portfolio of world class research, knowledge exchange and co-production, science communication, community engagement and training for decision makers at all levels. CFCR is an interdisciplinary centre of excellence within the University of the West of England, Bristol, sitting across the Departments of Geography and Environmental Management, and Architecture and the Built Environment.
OUR COURSES: UWE offers a flexible range of options for obtaining a relevant postgraduate degree, (both taught and research) including:
• MRes (Flooding) http://courses.uwe.ac.uk/F1N21 - a one year full-time (part time also available) degree focussed on a flood-related research project. This is ideal for those already in employment and working within flood risk management, or those who want to pursue a research project that is not as time-intensive as a PhD. For projects with an alternative emphasis, a MRes (Water) or MRes (Geography) are also available.
• PhD - CFCR currently supervises a number of part-time and full-time PhD`s across the full range of thematic areas in flood risk management. See our website for more information.
Or any of our focussed taught Master`s programmes including:
• MSc Environmental Management http://courses.uwe.ac.uk/F1N21 in one of 3 specialisations:
o Water Management
o Applied GIS
• MSc Sustainable Development in Practice http://courses.uwe.ac.uk/F8NA1
• MSc Environmental Consultancy http://courses.uwe.ac.uk/F90012
Smaller components of the above Master`s courses (normally the taught modules) are also available as a Post Graduate Certificate (60 credits) of Post Graduate Diploma (120 credits).
We also offer bespoke training in all aspects of flood risk management and are willing to work with you to design, implement and deliver CPD and training in any setting or location. If you would like to discuss any options, please contact CFCR@uwe.ac.uk .
OUR RESEARCH: The Centre is distinctive in its research focus on innovative approaches to building resilience for, and adaptation to, flooding and extreme weather, centred on communities in their widest sense. This includes communities of practice, businesses and households and integrates local, national and international perspectives. CFCR works with a wide variety of key partners including communities at risk, policy makers, expert practitioners, academics, learned institutions, research councils and organisations concerned with the development of sustainable and resilient communities, building on its extensive networks throughout the UK and internationally. CFCR offers direct research support to government agencies, businesses, and institutions etc., and also aims to partner with a wide range of academics and stakeholders in undertaking research funded by research councils and donor agencies.